Monday 25 February 2013

Strawberry's revenge

After I picked bear up from school I started to put a stew on.  I got the meat on the hob, the kettle boiling, the packet of soup ready to tip in and started washing the veggies.  Strawberry knocked at the window (she does seem to knock, actually she's trying to sharpen her claws on the uPVC double glazing).

I ignored her, but in the end I had to go out as the sink had backed up.  Our drain regularly blocks. When it is a bit warmer and the days are longer I will ask Nice Mr Next Door to try a pressure wash to clear the gunk which clogs up the drain.  It's mainly dust and dead leaves.  Until then I poke around with a bamboo pole, as the drain is about six feet below the level of the yard, and I am not going down there!

This was Strawberry's opportunity and she took it - she shot in.  I sighed and after I had got the water in the drain moving again I took the bin out, as I had been putting that job off.  Every time I open the kitchen door I have to fight off Strawberry.

Then I went in and started looking for Strawberry to evict her.  This was not easy.  She played hide and seek in the ironing and bedding piles, went under and over a few chairs and tables and then shot up the stairs to the living room.  Evil cat was in the living room, so I shot up after her.

By the time I caught up Strawberry was growling and in full on fight mode while evil cat was trying to work out what was going on.  I am not sure if evil cat is going deaf as well.  She was inching her way out of her small corner next to the radiator, wondering if there was a nice fight going.  Strawberry was gearing up and she is a chunky cat, and used to standing her ground against the local toms so not an easy pushover.

I really needed a comical theme tune as I chased Strawberry up and down stairs and round and round the kitchen as she hissed, growled, tried to ambush evil cat and eventually evicted her, while at the same time making sure the meat browned but didn't burn, that the hot water and soup mix was added in a timely manner and that nobody got hurt  Bear was brilliant and stood in the right place at the right time so we managed to shepherd a very cross Strawberry out.  I don't think evil cat actually worked out what was going on, but it is always hard to tell with her.

I think I am going to have to stop feeding Strawberry.  It is a shame as she is a pretty cat and has a lovely purr and if evil cat was a few years younger I would let them sort it out.  Evil cat is just too frail now, though, so I can't risk it.  I feel bad because it is cold out and I am sure Strawberry will be with kitten, but I have a duty to evil cat.

I hope it will work out all right

No comments: