Thursday 28 February 2013

Shopping again

Here we go again.

I have ordered a new base for the Remoska, and yes, one or two little tiny things may have slipped into the basket at the same time, but I can't resist Lakeland.  Yesterday was the AF order, but if it carries on the same way then I am not likely to buy much from them soon.  I am stocked.  I have also put up a Mr S order.

It is interesting how things have changed.  I don't get much meat from the supermarket, but I do go to the farm shop.  I don't get much veg, as I have the veg box.  If I am getting branded fizzy pop, it is one of the few things that really is cheaper in Makro.  I am stocked to the eyeballs with dishwasher tablets and they are also usually cheaper when they are on offer at Makro.  There is usually a huge box of soap powder of some type on offer there as well, and next week I will definitely be making my own laundry gloop so I will need a lot less of the commercial stuff.  I am still planning on sticking to Ariel for whites.

I looked at the order that I had put on, and the sad truth hit me.  Only the alcohol was worth getting from there.  Everything else was either cheaper, fresher, better quality or all three from somewhere else.  There is whisky for darling father, rum for OH and gin for me although I will probably get rid of that as it isn't really a necessity.  Then there is some processed fruit stars that bear likes in his lunch box and the ham and bread for his sandwiches.  I can get them from the nearby Nisa without the delivery cost.  There really wasn't much else.  It was up there with the Famous Grouse and cat litter delivery.

I'll let this week stand.  However I think it is time for me to move on to getting a monthly shop rather than a weekly shop.  If I go to Mr S I can get free delivery if I get it delivered midweek and order over £100 (easily done with alcohol).  I may get codes to get free delivery from Mr A or there may be great bargains.  It may be worth me getting a big shop from Mr M instead of a delivery now and again.  

After the last year of problem weather for farmers, and the horse meat scandal, and the whole food chain being prodded, I expect food prices to go haywire.  I don't expect to win.  All I can hope for is to not lose too badly.  

2 comments:

Witch Hazel said...

Hi Syb, Don't forget you don't have to have your shopping delivered on such a regimented basis as once a week or once a month. I just add things to my trolley as and when I realise I'm going to be needing them, and then when I have enough (or when I realise I am going to actually run out of something if earlier) I place an order. It's usually once every 3ish weeks. It might be easier for you to transition by starting with a shop every 2 weeks. Once you are used to managing that, then it's much easier to go to a more elastic date.
Hope that helps
PS Strawberry sounds lovely.

Wannabe Sybil said...

Witch Hazel - you are absolutely right. I know, deep down, I need to get the supermarket shop into a rhythm of 'when it suits' and have had up to three in a week when things have been bad. As for Strawberry, if she carries on dancing around her handbag with all the local toms it will be more than a jug of water I throw at her!!! WS xxx