Saturday 27 November 2010

Net curtain twitching

I have missed being here.

I heard some knocks as I was getting dressed and looked out of the window, hopeful that it was someone who was picking up bric a brac. Alas, it was not. It was half a dozen police knocking (fairly politely) on the door of next door but one. There are two big hurry up vans parked outside as well. The child of Her Three Doors Down was stood outside watching with interest.

I finished dressing little bear, made darling father's tea, put away dishes, emptied a dehumidifier, grumbled about my arm and shoulder and then looked out again. The vans are still there, but no sign of the police.

Now, the story so far... The police were observed carrying out vast quantities of stuff, including bits of four huge marijuana plants. I was told they were marijuana as I am not an expert. They could have been aspidistras but police rarely confiscate those. A little while later, as I was passing the house, the lady of the house shot out, told me that the gentleman of the house had given her a black eye and shot back in again, and the police were then called. I have seen the gentleman of the house recently, and yesterday I was informed that he was one of a multitude that had rung the council complaining about lack of binmen, so I assume he is back in residence.

So it could be any of a number of reasons why there is such a strong police presence. I am not sure I shall find out the full information, but I shall keep my ears open.

The sad thing is that while it is wonderful to twitch the curtains and gossip, the eldest lad is coming up for seven. He will see all this and remember it. There is a real bond between the gentleman of the house and the two sons. The younger son is about four months younger than little bear, around three and one half, and he may or may not remember it, but he will be affected by the stress and upheaval. The twin girls, about a year and a half, will probably not remember but be similarly affected by all the horrible stuff going on. It is heartbreaking to think of them.

No comments: