Thursday 20 October 2011

Another washday disaster

I am getting seriously fed up with little bear's white polo shirts. Every single one has now been the victim of a colour run incident, some more than once! I go years between colour run accidents - or I did until little bear started to rely on school uniform!

I put the polo shirts in with a load of lights/whites and they still came out a tasteful shade of pale dove grey. I have washed them in the stuff used to lighten net curtains, without any success, and they are now hanging in the sunshine, hopefully being bleached in the sun.

Fortunately (I think) little bear is growing out of them at a swift rate, so after half term I will be picking up another half dozen, to be washed separately - definitely and completely separately! Regardless of the inexpensive nature of the shirts, the amount I have spent on chemicals and the possible cost to the environment is ridiculous!

I can probably hold out until after Christmas for the next installment of dark green sweaters, and his black trousers are still okay, possibly until as long as February half term. And yes, they are going to be washed separately, just in case.

2 comments:

Morgan said...

I have the two girls so they do generate more school washing but I always end up with a dark load of jumpers and trousers and a White load of polo shirts, blouses, socks, vests, etc. It seems to me to be the best way to keep the whites mostly white - I do hate greyish white and do my best to avoid it! I have found that the cheap value liquids from the supermarkets are actually good at white loads.

Wannabe Sybil said...

I may try the liquids out - I am currently using Ariel which is doing brilliant on stains. Thank you for the tip.

I am just so frustrated - I would have sworn an oath that there was nothing in the light coloured stuff to run. I was wrong. I will be raising my game lol WS x