Monday 10 October 2011

Little bear negotiates

Little bear wanted an egg custard from the sandwich shop on Saturday, and as he was good when he was disappointed - no custards left - the shopkeeper promised to save one for him for today.

So I got a custard for little bear, but also one for myself, one for darling father and one for OH - we all like them. Little bear came in from school and attacked the custard. I really, really fancied mine, so instead of holding back and giving it to little bear I actually ate it. Little bear attacked the fruit bowl, then one banana later came in looking thoughtful. 'Are those custards as well?' he asked carefully.
'Yes, one for daddy and one for grandad. In fact, grandad is in his bedroom and I will take one up now.' I was desperate for the loo, so it seemed a good idea to take it up as I was going up anyway.
'Do you think grandad will give me half?' little bear asked.
'Don't you dare ask your grandad for one, do not beg!' I said firmly, but I really had to go to the loo. So I dropped off the custard with darling father with the strict instruction not to give in to little bear's begging.

The conversation apparently went something like this.
Little bear: Will you give me half of that custard, we can share.
Darling Father (not really meaning it): Why should I share with you? You wouldn't share your fruit with me yesterday.
Little bear trotted downstairs and then returned with a very small apple: I share with you, Grandad.

Little bear got half a custard. At least he didn't get all of it.

No comments: