Saturday 29 October 2011

Holiday fun

It's been a fun week, but there has been a bit of a 'back foot' feel about it. Poor little bear was really poorly with a cold (even a fussy mum like me can't call it anything more!) and so was darling father at the beginning of the week. OH suffered mildly (on the whole, through determination I think) throughout the whole week. I, with perfect timing, am suffering now, and I have the sort of messed up throat and tubes which means I can't speak. Little bear understands the individual words, but the concept that mummy can't read him a story or sing him songs just doesn't seem to sink in.

There are new owners from when we first went into the cottage. They are really nice, and very friendly. It just isn't the same, however, and they had a lovely vase of fresh flowers in the kitchen - and no tea towels. The rubbish hadn't been taken away from the last occupants. There were no fire making supplies (vital!!!). No kitchen towel and about a quarter of a roll of loo paper. There were the odd dirty spots, although the cottage was phenomenally cleaner than my own home. There was no grill tray so for the first time in my life I was frying bacon for OH's breakfast. All little, tiny niggles that aren't worth really complaining about. It did leave me with a bit of an off centre feeling

Little bear had his first cold sore. OH and I have been trying to police him prodding at it - not entirely sure how successfully. The chemist was pretty unimpressed at me trying to ask questions about what to give a nearly five year old. Little bear also had his face painted for the first time. I just haven't seen an opportunity for it before, but he was a very happy monster and I hope to post the picture.

Also, while I wouldn't consider this area a high crime area, I was impressed that we holidayed in a place where someone crashing into a lamppost with no injuries to anyone would make the local paper. Also a chip pan fire. As it was a weekly paper, it must be really quiet for news.

No comments: