Friday 7 October 2011

Little bear is fashion conscious

Well, perhaps little bear is not fashion conscious, but he does like his new coat. The thin rain proof jacket is no longer warm enough, though it may hang on for a third summer (an ebay bargain that has really worked!) However, last winter's coat (which may have also had some wear the winter before) is no longer quite big enough. I could probably have hung on for another week or two, but I thought I might as well bite the bullet.

So I went into Matalan and splurged £22 on a red coat for little bear. Red, as he repeatedly tells us, is his favourite colour, and it has a scrunchable hood, velco patches, buttons, zips, pockets inside and out and an internal belt - all things guaranteed to appeal to young boys. For me, it has a warm lining, a hood and is a decent length as so many of the coats for little ones seem quite short. None of the jackets really seemed that warm to my fussy inspection, but a nicely padded jacket with some fleece in the lining, together with a vest, polo shirt, thick sweatshirt, hat, gloves and scarf should keep him okay in the 100 yards he has to get to school and the few minutes wait before we go in.

Of course, the worry about whether little bear will be warm enough is really my worry as I feel the cold and little bear doesn't.

Little bear absolutely adores it. He modelled it last night for OH and darling father, he checked it was still here this morning and insisted on wearing it while he brushed his teeth. I took my life in my hands and ironed a name tape onto a non iron coat and he has happily worn it to school. It seems to have enough room to last until April, but I am not betting. Some of the polo shirts I bought at the end of August are looking a bit on the short side - thank goodness! He is growing like a weed.

No comments: