Thursday 6 October 2011

Off the Christmas List

Things I do not need to buy for Christmas.

I am not buying (or making) mince pies. None of us is that fond of them really. I mean, they're okay, and when the packet that I don't really want inevitably lands on the table they will be eaten. Just not with great anticipation.

I am not buying or making a starter for Christmas dinner. No matter how hard I try with portion control, we are always too stuffed after just the dinner and we have Christmas pudding for tea. One year I forgot the meat and we didn't notice.

Nor am I messing about with Buck's Fizz cocktails for breakfast. I may be able to coax a spoonful of cereal down little bear but the odds are against it. He will be stuffing himself on whatever chocolate and sweets he can blag. Other options will be toast or porridge.

I definitely do not need to buy wrapping paper or cards - there is a minor mountain of both in the corner of the room, even without little bear's artistic contribution.

I am not getting a huge tin of sweets this year, nor of chocolate biscuits. There will be plenty of other goodies but all we do is eat them and then feel sick.

I am not getting outside lights. Nor will decorations go up in November. Unless you are uber cool, efficient and organised with the decorating sense of Anthea Turner, it is really hard to get them to look good for any length of time. My Nice Next Door Neighbour's decorations go up shortly after Guy Fawkes Night. It puts me right off the Christmas Spirit.

I am not getting forty five different kinds of pickles. We open them all, eat the top third and then I throw the rest out in February.

Bah humbug!

3 comments:

Witch Hazel said...

You always make me smile.
Thank you.

Wannabe Sybil said...

Have a hug as well, and if you don't need it now, it will keep.

I really enjoy writing this and I am really glad that people read. Thank you for reading. WS x

Morgan said...

Right as usual! There is just no need to buy all these things just because it is Christmas - there seems to be an expectation that there will be a season of excess over quite a few days. We opted out of that scenario too - "normal" food unless it is Christmas Day, and then the leftovers from the festive meal on Boxing Day! People see magazine articles that talk about fancy meals for weeks surrounding the big day and it makes us feel that we ought to do all that, and then there is the decorations in the house. I'm not even going to start on that...

I'm with you - humbug to the lot of them, and I am just going to do what WE want to do, and are comfortable with.

Hugs xxx