Sunday 2 October 2011

Evening of entertainment

It must be nearly ten times now since little bear was born that both OH and I have gone out together leaving him with a babysitter. An average of twice a year. Part of the problem is that I currently rely on my brother or sister in law to help out. And they are both so nice and pleasant about it, and they both have busy lives, so I don't want to take advantage of them. I can't be sure that they would say 'no' if they needed to say 'no', so it seems unfair to ask them, just in case.

I shall just mention that little bear had his story, his wash and then went out like a light. He was absolutely no trouble. Evil cat was more trouble and nailed my brother's friend - he was assuming that she was a cat, therefore a gentle stroke of the head could be acceptable. Evil cat was evil.

We went with darling father to the Methodist's Harvest supper. I suppose I could pick holes in this and that, but it would be hard work, and truly we did have a marvellous time. There was a meal, which I was impressed with, as the thought of mass catering terrifies me but the ladies on duty did wonders. Then there were a choir which was excellent and some truly wonderful solos. Some members of the choir did monologues or humorous readings and the MC did some wonderfully groanworthy jokes. There were some small children, up at nine at night, looking hollow eyed, exhausted and bewildered as they 'danced' prompted by the usual assortment of adults bent at the waist - but they were actually adorable. I gave them a huge round of applause.

I did taste dust and ashes a little. The choir sung like a formal choir, with soprano, alto, tenor and bass - I could see the sheet music they were holding and it was the lines for each part to sing. Once upon a time I sang in a choir like that. Our school choir had an ambitious music teacher and we joined with the local amateur opera society and sang things like Verdi's Requiem and Vaughan Williams Donna Nobis Pacem (scary stuff when it goes into the dies irae part). I couldn't exactly sing on first sight, but I could have a pretty good go. Now, although I could soon pick up the music reading quickly enough, and the range I have, judging by my singing to little bear, is much the same as it ever was, my health is too bad to cope. I would be literally unable to stand after the first five minutes - I just couldn't do it. I used to love singing. Now I can only sing to little bear, if I am sitting down and the volume is not to ambitious. Once I dreamed of having singing lessons, just for my own pleasure - my voice is extremely medium. I could never manage it now. I just don't have the energy or strength to sing like I used to. I found that a bit hard.

No comments: