Wednesday 12 October 2011

Bills

The meter man came today. A bill will surely follow.

We are in credit in our account - to the tune of a few hundred pounds. But they asked me to leave it 'on account' against winter. However now that we have got a new boiler, on an efficient timer, and I am using the remoska, microwave and little electric oven more and more then I wonder whether there will be a surplus I can pick up in April and ask for the massive direct debit to drop. I have even dropped to a lower tariff, which according to uswitch was the best for us. With the price rises, however, I will be lucky if we are a penny in front.

I bitterly regret the lack of stove. I shall be grumbling about that in my grave. As I cannot have the stove, however, I shall grit my teeth and get on with it.

The 'new' tumble dryer may help, as though it uses electricity it also vents warm air - next to a dehumidifier, so it should be just warm and not damp air circulating around. Door curtains, draft excluders and common sense will help. Lighting one or two candles can make a difference as well. I am hoping that the halogen heater will also pick up the slack rather than the twenty year old gas fire. And I shall be being meticulous about unplugging things.

It has made me think about all the electrics that go on in this house. Darling father's room has sky, a tv, a teasmaid, clock radios, trouser press, and a small fridge. I run another fridge and a separate freezer, a washer dryer (unplugged when it isn't on), microwave, remoska, kettle, iron, electric oven, computer, tv (always switched off when not in use), toaster and there are a myriad of gadgets around. There is the electric keyboard, lamps, and dehumidifier. In little bear's room I have left the monitor on, and OH's room has a full complement of clocks, lamps, laptop, etc.

So far I have resisted putting in plug in air fresheners, and I don't want to start.

I am glad I have the computer, the ease of an electric iron, the convenience of a microwave and the absolute bliss of tv to knit to. But I am looking at the cost and it is really adding up. Time for another 'unplug it' campaign.

3 comments:

ravylesley said...

All right Sybs what did I miss? How come you can't have a woodburner?

Lesleyxx

Wannabe Sybil said...

To fit a woodburner under current building regulations they need to seal off the top and bottom of the chimney and fill it with smoke to test the chimney. The top of the relevant chimney is next to a bees nest and would need scaffolding to get to, it's just not practical :( I don't want to be practical - I want a stove! I'll be grumbling about it in my coffin. WS x

ravylesley said...

Problematic yes but impossible No.Why dont you contact a local beekeeper to come and collect the bees and give them a good home? I know several beekeepers who regularly collect swarming bees so your nest would be most welcome to them.Once the bees were gone then surely its just a building project that once you hand over to the builder is their problem not yours

Lesleyxx