Thursday 6 October 2011

Christmas Comments

Morgan - it is like Halloween, and Valentine's Day, and even Easter. Some people make a lot of money marketing 'goodies' for Christmas. There seem to me more and more hysteria about it every year. And there are more and more magazines filling more and more glossy pages with aspirational 'Christmas Breakfasts'.

Humbug! Bah Humbug!

It doesn't mean that I won't try and make it special for us. There will be the goodies we want - this year I am planning an extravagant fruit basket from Fruit4U. We always have Lebkuchen, or Pfeffernuss. There will be a lot of opportunities for trifle. But those are the things we like, and I just refuse to do anything more because someone wants to sell me stuff. As for turkey, last year we had steak. A turkey can be dry, tasteless, and an entire bird is too much for us. The smaller joints are disproportionally dear. Steak wasn't an unfrugal choice for a Christmas dinner.

I think it is appropriate to have a celebration in the darkest time of the year, but I think it criminal that people are being pressured into spending more money than they want on more stuff that they want and wasting so much.

Bah, Bah Humbug!

(Also, ashamed I have started this topic, because it is still only October)