Monday 31 October 2011

Little Bear as an Alarm Clock

I am trying not to panic.

Little bear came downstairs last night at 2am and went to sleep, very happily, until @ 7am this morning. He woke, as usual, straight awake, told me he was awake, got up, wandered into the study, picked up the glowing stick axe he had from his auntie, broke it and split the case, then got the liquid from it on his hands and then rubbed his eye. All before I have even managed to open my eyes properly.

It looked like it stung really badly. I got him upstairs and wiped gently over his eyes with a flannel, tried to get water washing over them (I am so squeamish about eyes it is ridiculous, I can't be in the same room as someone putting in eye drops). Little bear was so unhappy about it. I got the gunk off around the side his eye and soon his eyes seemed fine. OH was fine getting up to check and now little bear is happily complaining that I am not holding the torch for him to draw around the shadow. He seems unaffected.

I am sitting here shaking and close to tears. I don't have a clue what sort of chemicals they use in glow sticks and how they can affect a little bear. It must have only been a tiny drop, as there was not much that came out of the stick and then a bit on the hand that rubbed around his eye. I just don't know how bad it could be.

As little bear seems now unaffected and absolutely calm about it and without any sort of pain, I am not following my instincts to take him to A&E or ring NHS direct. I can't imagine either would be very useful. As little bear shows no signs of pain or discomfort I am not going to rush into anything. However I am still taking him to the Dr as soon as I can after school. Eyes are too precious to be neglected.

It is not a good way to wake up.

No comments: