Tuesday 18 December 2012

A morning just happened to me

I've had one of those mornings.  Little bear was just about okay to go to school, so was up just about in time.  Today he had to get to take money in as there was a School Fayre (parents not allowed) and there were going to be activities.  I have a red wallet for little bear where he can keep pennies, so I picked that up this morning, got dressed and completely lost the wallet.  I turned the house upside down, while time was ticking away.  If I hadn't been late to start with it wouldn't have been so bad, but I was pulling my hair out.   

I managed to get food into little bear (he will go to school with a breakfast in him, no matter what he says) and he got himself dressed.  In the last few weeks little bear has decided he wants to be 'independent' (his word) so I make sure that all the clothes are laid out, especially the clean underwear, and leave him to it.  Of course, as we were running late and I was frantically filling a coin bag with silver, this morning was the morning when he couldn't manage his collar.  We just about made it into the school yard on time - where the other kids were in party clothes.  Little bear's eyes filled up with tears but he was being brave.  So I shot home, picked up the cool outfit shown earlier and then shot back to leave at the office.  The school are really good, despite a lot of my grumblings, and of course would let him get changed.  They are really good with nearly six year olds.  Because of the way the school year falls and the split year, little bear is perhaps the youngest in his class. 

So I am feeling a bit of a failure, because I couldn't find the wallet and I didn't remember the clothes, and I was getting a bit stressy.  Though less than a failure than I could because when I was belting into the office, having been one of the last in the playground, gone home, found clothes and come the long way back to the office, I was still there at the same time as two lads that were coming in late. 

I know the lads by sight, and I know that their mother is doing her best, but I don't think that they have ever been on time.  They are usually eating biscuits on the way into school.  They usually miss out on fancy dress days because their mother never sends them in wearing costume.  The kids are clean, but the uniform isn't always as new as it could be. 

I don't face the challenges their mother faces, I am not sure I could cope as well as she copes, but I think tonight I will give him an extra cuddle, just so he knows that his mum loves him lots and lots. 

No comments: