Thursday 27 December 2012

New Year's Resolutions

Time to start preparing for the New Year and New Year's Resolutions. 

On the whole I don't really believe in New Year's Resolutions.  You can have a Resolution any day, and quite often waiting for New Year is just putting off something you don't want to do but think you should, and as you will have lost momentum from the first impulse, the chances of keeping on are slim.  I believe you can start a Resolution at anytime.

On the other hand, I think it will be a great chance for me to take stock.  At the moment I would say I was not depressed.  I feel very different.  This year is the first time I have been able to say that with any sort of conviction for thirty years.  I don't know how to be now I am not depressed.  After all the health scares for the last few months I think now is a good time to take stock. 

Looking back over the last few months particularly, I seem to be doing a lot more and I am not sure where it has all come from.  Wherever it has come from, I need to build on it and try changing some habits, and changing them for the better.

Writing things down and putting them in a public place is a good way to motivate - although it hasn't worked well for me in the past.  But I will try listing them here.

1. Run a budget. I have been a pathetic failure at this.  Starting 1 Jan I will track money spent, update any earnings from writing (so far not reached £20, but I don't care!) every Tuesday, and I will allocate money to different needs and try and remain within that. I will use the help that a very kind lady sent (thank you again, really appreciated!).  I will not try and get it perfect straight away and will accept that at a time of rampaging inflation (whatever the government says) a budget is a tough thing to run.  I will join Grocery Challenge, Second Purse Challenge and whatever other challenges I can find on the MSE website.  I will start a price book. 

2. I will get control of my home.  At the moment I am a feather in the wind.  Now I have more physical energy and more will behind it I will do all I can to make my home a pleasant place to live in.  I will set realistic goals, realise that I am going to have to work around my family and get on with it.  I will follow the FlyLady Thread on MSE and also follow the housekeeping chart here .  I shall aim to do everything I can to make my home easy to care for.  I aim to sleep in a bed by the end of February.  I will actively simplify and reduce to aim to keep housework to around half an hour per day. 

3. I will become more active.  I will once again find the pages on the BBC website that include tips on getting active over four weeks.  I will actively seek out ways to increase the number of steps I take in a day.  I will actively find ways to choose food that is better for me.  I will go to the doctor when I need to.  I will take care of me. 

4. I will take care of my social needs.  I will go to Church and prayer group.  I will find a charity shop where I can volunteer. 

5. I will write 5,000 words every day.  Words on my blog count. 

You may notice that I am joining in groups and taking advice.  One BIG downfall I have is thinking I know the best way for me.  This time I am taking advice, following what other people say and using all the resources out there. 

And I will keep picking myself up after all the slips, and misses, and failures and keep going.  And I shall enjoy this great adventure of a New Year.

2 comments:

Hard up Hester said...

Way to go!

Wannabe Sybil said...

HH - Thank you - I actually feel quite militant about it all. I am determined. And it will be fun! WS xxx