Sunday 23 December 2012

Delayed Delivery

I booked an Asda delivery for between 3pm and 5pm today.  It arrived at 6.45pm and the driver looked at the end of his tether.  He leant against the door frame and looked nervous.  I think he had been given an emphatic welcome from a lot of stressed ladies.  We are in the county of Nora Batty, forthright Yorkshire women and a tradition of taking no nonsense.  It looked like the driver had felt the full force of it.  He looked pathetically grateful when I said, 'thank goodness you've come!'

I was absolutely terrified that I would have to face Christmas Eve shops for more than a brief shop.  As it is, I need to dive in, grab a large piece of meat for Christmas dinner (current preferred favourite is lamb with mint butter). 

To be honest, if we hadn't had the delivery, and I had bought in the minimum, it would still have been alright.  There are local shops with things like bread and potatoes, and we can work around practically anything. 

I have failed to get stressed about it, perhaps because we don't have a big tradition of the food.  We have traditions like company, spending time together, relaxing and probably drinking a month's worth of alcohol in ten days.

As it is, I can hardly close the freezer, the fridge is absolutely packed and we have a large heap of goodies.  Also two birthday cakes.  I thought I might need two as a lot have been invited to little bear's party.  However I have mistakenly bought two cakes that are designed to cut into forty portions.

Let them eat cake!



No comments: