Sunday 2 December 2012

Washing powder

I finally ran out of the huge box of Fairy powder that I got months ago for £10 at Sainsburys.  That was fine, I had some washing tablets ready purchased from Approved Food which should be fine.  I broke them out, followed their instructions (eventually) and set the machine off.  There was a problem.  The washing tablets from Approved Food appeared to be waterproof - they were not dissolving. 

I did try an empty wash on 90 degrees, which I do now and again to flush out the washing machine.  That got rid of the tablets just fine.  However I do most of my washing on a much lower temperature.  I have read that most of the energy used by a washing machine is taken up by heating the water, as mine like most is cold water fill.  None of us get spectacularly dirty (little bear does his best, but it really isn't that bad) and we change our clothes often, so I put the wash on at 30 degrees, but for a longer wash.  To be fair to water and washing machines, actually that will get rid of an amazing amount of dirt and dust even if there is no soap, but I prefer to add soap.

So I popped in to Makro and spent £21.36 on a box of 110 washes, or around 20p per wash (I checked it on a calculator).  I never use the amount stated anyway, and I expect it to last a good six months, especially if I use the waterproof tablets for the few hot washes I do, like towels and sheets.  But it is a bit of a blow, especially after the last box of Fairy.  I got Ariel Professional Actilift, so it will no doubt deal extremely well with the majority of little bear's stains.  And it will be hygienic.  And I will be using less powder than stated.  It just seems a lot.

I have decided to take a two pronged reaction.  On one hand I will be actively researching big boxes of powder to have one (and only one!) in reserve for when this box finally finishes.  On the other hand I am going to have a go at laundry gloop.  I am not convinced it will cope with little bear's shirts, but I am confident it will be fine on my tops and sweaters, and considerably less expensive.

I shall let you know how I get on.

2 comments:

Lesley said...

I think Angela over at Tracing Rainbows had the same problem with some AF washing tablets:

http://angalmond.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/dissolving-in-hysterics.html

She got her money back!

http://angalmond.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/washing-my-dirty-laundry-in-public.html

Hope this helps, Lesley

Wannabe Sybil said...

Lesley - thank you. I may have a go, but it is so long since I bought them as I was stocking up ready :( that I don't think they would even have a record of when they were bought.

fwiw they were the time non bio. They probably smell nice. I shall learn my lesson. Also, thank you for the heads up to the blog! WS xxx