Saturday 8 December 2012

Clearing stuff out

At the moment I sleep on the floor in the study on a foam fold out bed.  It is starting to affect me as I am not really getting the rest I need.  I originally started sleeping there for two reasons.  OH has real and serious problems with insomnia and sleep apnoea  which mean that he could do with the space to pace, read, toss and turn at night without worrying about me.  Also I would have been sleeping on the floor above little bear, and three floors above the kitchen, after the stair gate had been removed due to little bear's ability to climb over it.  I needed to be able to intercept. 

Little bear is now a lot safer to be left in the kitchen.  I wouldn't leave him there if I was cooking or lots of things were on, but he is now old enough to not worry that he will get knives out of the draw at random.  He is usually sensible, though I don't feel like counting on the common sense of a nearly six year old.  Lots of mums are fine with nearly six year olds making their own breakfast. I am not so sure, but I am fairly confident that little bear will avoid the kitchen in favour of the computer if he is given a chance.

So I will be moving into what is now the junk room.  This is a bit of a depressing prospect.  The room looks like one of the rooms from one of the 'Hoarders' programmes, all heaped with stuff.  I can't even remember what is what now.  Some stuff I really want to keep, like some of the yarn.  Some stuff I really don't, like some of the 'useful' cardboard boxes that are up there.  Because of the lack of air and that the room is so full, and also because I suspect that there has been a major leak in the house behind and it has affected us, some stuff is ruined through damp. 

At the start of the day just getting past the threshold was a major challenge.  Ten black bin sacks later it is a bit better.  I have just thrown out a huge amount of thread - it had gone rotten with the damp.  I am washing some sheets I found but I think they may be beyond saving as they had mould on them and they are really hardly worth the bleach.  I have also got rid of my sewing machine.  I am still scared of it, and it was almost certainly rusted beyond belief. 

I have moved a lot of yarn into OH's room for the time being, but I want to sort through that later.    I have put some crafting stuff aside as I know someone who runs a Brownie pack and I think that I will be able to pass stuff to them.  Some stuff that went out could probably have been used by a charity shop, but to be honest I think it is a little unlikely. 

I mentioned to little bear that I would be sleeping in the room upstairs eventually and that I wouldn't be there when he came downstairs.  He looked a little thoughtful, and then said, 'Well, I will just come upstairs and say good morning to you.'  In other words, I will make sure you are up and awake and ready to make me breakfast. 

No comments: