Wednesday 28 August 2013

I found them!!!!



Poor DH, his birthday has come and gone and his presents had been so well hidden that he missed his them.  Again.  On the bright side, he is used to it.  I am carrying on a tradition that his mother started.  She would regularly appear months after the event with a toy or book and a slightly embarrassed expression.

I now need to wrap them (yeurk!) and practice a cheerful smile.  He did have other stuff to open on the day as I have a scatter approach to presents.  People usually get lots of little ones.

I already have the single September Birthday present, and I know the inexpensive present I will be getting for the November birthday.  As for Christmas, that is almost sorted.

I can't get too smug about Christmas.  It has just sort of happened.  DF gets the Daily Mail every day.  His father got the very first one in 1922 and he carries on the tradition.  I probably won't.  However until then I will carry on collecting the codes and the points that go with them.  I currently have over 13,000 points.   £35 of M&S vouchers need 14,400 which I should have by November and in time to cash in for Christmas.  I may go for the Morrisons vouchers or Tescos which are roughly the same points for spends depending on how I jiggle things around.  If I get the Christmas and New Year joints from the farm shop then the £35 will more than cover most of the extras.

I should add that the points are only worth collecting if you read the paper anyway.  If DF stopped getting his paper then I would find other ways to save.

I currently have just over £30 in Nectar points.  By the time Christmas comes it will pay (or nearly) for three 40% proof presents in Sainsburys.  I pick up Nectar points when I shop on ebay.  It is only ever worth collecting points if you are going there, buying it or doing it anyway.  As ebay is my friend the odd point here and there is an added bonus.

I must get back to doing surveys.  If I can get some Amazon vouchers then that will help.

Money is being stashed monthly for presents.  Bear will, of course, be ridiculously indulged, but I am keen on limiting his presents.  Once again he doesn't really need much, so I will go with the flow.  I know I have the really big costs to come.

3 comments:

Angela said...

I too have hidden gifts and then forgotten them. It makes it even more fun when they fdo come to the surface!!

Lesley said...

I have a similar reputation for putting things in "safe places" and never seeing them again! At least it spreads out the fun... I have started doing surveys, but they keep kicking me off. I don't have a TV, and I think this confuses them! Lesley x

Wannabe Sybil said...

Angela - it helps spread out the fun! There is always something on the day, and there is always fuss. DH, bless, is very resigned to it, and DF gets 40% proof so he is happy.

Lesley - I seem to get a lot of surveys but I don't get round to doing them. I do okay. However I don't think they factor in 'awkward old biddy'. I am also notorious for 'safe places'. I have lost bear's sports bag. Sigh.

WS xxx