Thursday 22 August 2013

Lamb loaf

This is actually looking inexpensive.  It can probably be jazzed up by better cooks, but I think it may be worth a go.  The recipe is from The Classic 1000 Microwave Recipes by Sonia Allison

1 lb (500g) minced lamb, two large eggs beaten, half teaspoon each of dried rosemary and mint, crushed garlic, two tablespoons of flour, half teaspoon of salt, tablespoon of brown sauce.

Mix all ingredients together and put in a lightly greased dish.  Cover with cling film, slit it twice and microwave for eight minutes.  Leave stand for four minutes and serve.

So I bought the mince frozen from Morrisons and allowed it to thaw.  I stirred that together with three medium eggs (didn't have large), and I used garlic salt instead of garlic + salt as I didn't have any fresh garlic.  I forgot the brown sauce and didn't have the mint.  DH put it under the grill after it had finished cooking for the sake of texture.  It actually tasted okay, served with chips and broccoli.  We only used half and will have the other half cold tonight.

I am finding the cost interesting.  On the one hand the lamb cost £2.27, the eggs cost 33p and the other bits were just pennies, I suppose.  It will do us two meals.  The big saving is the method of cooking.  Even with using the grill at the end it was considerably less expensive to use the microwave for eight minutes than the conventional oven for around 90 minutes which is the conventional time for a meatloaf, although a lot of meatloaf recipes have bigger amounts.  I am determined to try and use my microwave and remoska more as well as checking what we are eating.  The cost of fuel is a significant part of cooking and I want to keep that in mind as well.

2 comments:

Angela said...

This looks worth trying, I have rosemary and mint in the garden. I think I would try2 eggs +a tablespoon of milk. Hot on day one then cold on day two sounds good. Thanks for recipe. Blessings x

Wannabe Sybil said...

Thank you, I am really pleased that you find it useful. I shall make a note of the eggs + milk. Thankyou WS xxx