Monday 27 July 2009

Another from the Housewife's Jewel

I thought I would add one more recipe, which intrigues me. I am not sure how I would cook it, but I think it sounds extremely rich. I believe the recipe is designed more like a reminder to the cook - don't forget to add... ! If I ever work out how to cook it, and actually try it, I shall certainly post the recipe.

To boil steaks between two dishes - You must put parsley and currants, butter and verjuice [sour apple juice - I would unhesitatingly use cider vinegar, but I am not sure how 'purist' that is], two or three yolks of eggs and pepper, cloves, mace, and so let them boil together. Serve them upon sops [toast].

I would happily casserole some stewing steak with the currants (lots), parsley (lots), butter (quite a bit), cider vinegar (a good slosh) and spices (a bit less generous, and probably using mixed spice). I think you would get quite a Mediterranean feel to it. Medieval castles used slices of day old bread (or older) instead of plates, hence the tradition of so many things served on toast (I am sure that I am not telling anything new, but I like to be complete, so I hope you can humour my wittering!). I am just not sure about the egg yolks, unless it is to thicken the sauce at the end of the cooking.

2 comments:

Hard up Hester said...

What fantastic recipes Sybil, far tooo complicated for me though. Good luck if you do decide to try some of them.

Wannabe Sybil said...

It is sad but true - I can make a souffle (sweetcorn souffle is very pleasant indeed and quite filling) but I cannot fry an egg. I can only boil an egg because I have a thingumajig that goes in with the egg and changes colour. And I only attempt hard boiled eggs. Little bear has yet to have soldiers. Poor little mite. WS