Wednesday 8 July 2009

Don't ask me that type of question!

I am not a good target for a salesperson. My instinct is feline - if backed into a corner I want to lash out and flee. If I sense that I am being backed into a corner I become very 'difficult'.

Last night there was a phone call from Save the Children. Now I am a hug admirer of Save the Children, I think that they do great work, my late mother's cousin worked at a branch of UNESCO in Africa and said that Save the Children was one of the best charities to give to, I have bought from their catalogue (where I suspect I ticked - no canvassing). However...

The phone call started off with the very nice lady saying that she was not asking for money. Hmm. Does anyone else feel deeply suspicious when that is the first thing some says? Well, she said - which is the best way to contact you - phone, email or post?

I felt uncomfortable - I was being asked to confirm that I was happy being contacted, just giving a preferred method. Without thinking I just said 'None'. It was an instinctive flight reaction. The very nice lady sort of stumbled, said goodbye and hung up politely. I don't think she had had that response.

I feel a bit guilty now.

No comments: