Friday 3 July 2009

Signs of the times

Plants seem to be all of a tangle this year. Normally the pivet 'tree' on a neglected part of the street blossoms in the week before Wimbledon - I always associate their scent with tennis. It is only just starting to show green flower buds. However the buddliea outside the window is starting to blossom as well, and this particularly bush normally flowers in time for dear heart's birthday and that is nearly two months away.

I wonder if this is a 'bode' for the type of winter, or if it is just odd weather. I have always wondered how plants know to provide extra berries for hard winters, but I have enjoyed believing it. The flowers on the brambles are promising a very good crop.

Of course, regardless of the weather I am sure I will have forgotten this in December.

No comments: