Monday 21 May 2012

Dead tree

We have a dead tree in the garden.  It was alive a fortnight ago, now all the leaves are brown/black and curled up. 

I am less stressed about this than I could be.  The tree self seeded at a time when the street was too bad to garden in, people waving guns around and stuff (these days I complain about a ginger tom, it is so much more relaxing!).  Then I left it in because it gave a bit of shelter from the building works going on across the road and stopped people sitting on the wall.  And I then couldn't work out how to get rid of a tree, but got it hacked back when it was two inches away from the phone lines.  At least we won't have the problem of leaves again.

I am minded to ignore it and see what happens.  It could spring back to life, but it does look pretty far gone.   And I have no idea how it got like this.  None of the surrounding plants seem affected, so I don't think it was something thrown into the garden.  The local toms have been using that corner as a convenience, but I am sure trees can cope with this - it wasn't a sapling, it was at least twenty feet high! 

I shall have a think, and look for copper nails - though I have no idea why anyone should try that.  I shall also see if any other flowering cherry trees have been affected locally. 

2 comments:

ravylesley said...

Sybs dont want to be a party pooper but should the dead tree fall onto anyone or anything then as it is regarded as your property you will be liable for the bill to repair whatever it damages.So it might be a good idea to hire a chainsaw from the local Hire Shop and get beloved to get all butch and manly chopping it into bits lol

Lesleyxx

Wannabe Sybil said...

Lesley - I will definitely be keeping an eye on it! This has already been discussed. It should be sturdy enough for a week or two, and by then we should see if any green stuff is coming back.

tbh, I suspect I shall be glad to see the back of it. It may go regardless! WS xxx