Tuesday 15 May 2012

Food for thought

I need to change a lot of my patterns.

For example, little bear used to really enjoy Angel Delight type desserts.  OH also enjoyed them, so I got a large amount when they came up on Approved Food.  This coincided with them going off desserts.  Yesterday, last thing, I picked one up and checked the 'use by' date.  It was June 2010. 

This afternoon after I came back in from shopping (I actually went out of the house to do shopping!) I started to go through a cupboard or two.  I have filled three black bags with out of date stuff.  There is a lot more to go, I will update after having a mad spree tonight.  Tonight is a good time to go a little crazy as tomorrow is bin day. 

It is a huge wake up call to me.  I could not believe that I had had those things in the cupboard that long - but I had!  Time had just slipped away.  And also I am deeply, intensely ashamed.  So many people do not have enough wholesome food to eat, and I am throwing out so much.

I really need to rethink my patterns of shopping and cooking.  However now there is so much more space in the cupboards I can perhaps see what is there more clearly, and use it up earlier. 

Now all I need to worry about now is how to cook the herring I bought today.  It's looking like poached in milk, but I may get more adventurous. 

1 comment:

Morgan said...

I have to admit that where I was once a huge fan of Approved Food, I find that there is less on there these days for a healthy diet - I am really trying to remove too much packet food and biscuits/crisps/sweets/chocolate etc from the cupboards. It isn't then justifiable to me to spend a fortune on delivery of the other stuff that I would want. We are eating a lot more fresh and basic food these days so my cupboards need a similar clear out! Good for you, Sybil xx