Wednesday 9 May 2012

Hoarding - still thinking about it

I am still thinking about the hoarders on the programme.  One man would not let a carrier bag of papers leave the house unless he had looked through it first.  The papers were old and yellowed - they must have been at least ten years old.  However there was that awful fear and compulsion that he would be losing something vital if he didn't check the papers.  He was even checking through bags of mouldy food and challenging about tins of beans that were rusty because he said that they would be fine. 

Morgan - the skip was their idea.  The sons have moved into next door but one, which is nice for me as they are lovely neighbours.  They have had to almost gut the place and start again from scratch, so they have a lot of rubbish to go.  There are lots of bits and bobs of rubbish from Nice Mr Next Door.  We have a huge compost bin that darling father wants nothing more to do with (it really is far too big for our garden) and a broken exercise bike which are too big to take to the skip in a car, along with the pieces of darling father's old chair. 

Another thing I noticed when I watched was some of the 'aspirational hoarding'.  I'll do that when I have time, I'll use that item for this project that I have been planning to do for five years and still not started, I'll need that when I get round to sorting things in the garden...

The exercise bike is a case in point.  At this moment there is no room in our schedules for actually using it.  It is in the top room and my joints won't always let me get up there.  When OH is home then using it is likely to disturb/disrupt little bear and it would cause a lot of noise directly over darling father. OH prefers to go for a long walk anyway.  And now I can't work out how to fix the thingy on the wotsit and I suspect bits are missing from it being moved from one place to another.  So it is going, and because it has spent time buried under stuff and because it has been lugged around etc it is now no use and wasted.  

I think Operation Clutterbust has had a bit of a kick start.

Lesley - I think you are absolutely right, just to bin, without looking which was so hard for that poor man.  I know that potentially I should sell/recycle/donate, but when you are drowning you need to make at least enough space to swim.  I read once that you can concentrate on selling and recycling and donating once you have reached some clear space, until then, just get it out of the house!  I hope you gloat over your spaces and the increase in air to breathe - you definitely deserve it after forcing yourself through that barrier. 

1 comment:

ravylesley said...

I have binned so much stuff that could be sold or recycled but tbh life is too short for the guilt involved so to the tip it all went.For me fighting the urge to hoard is a constant thing as I can always think of a potential use for many things and sites like Approved Foods dont help as they pander to my hoarding urge and I have mountains of baking and cooking ingredients that I am never going to use as I'm always dieting so my next goal is to conquer the baking supplies mountain but I cant do that till after Bin Day as my bins are full to bursting point already lol

Lesleyxx