Wednesday 9 May 2012

Hoarding has struck a nerve

Robyn - I definitely felt for the wife.  But I did wonder at the sort of relationship that allowed that sort of thing to develop.  How can you watch a partner effectively put your home beyond your ability to live comfortably in it?  And how do you feel so alone that your main relationship is with things while you are still with the wife? 

Lesley - cooking stuff is definitely next on my list.  I have already got rid of a lot of stuff.  I looked round my kitchen and decided it wasn't organising that was needed, or cleaning, or getting on with it. I just need less stuff.  And you are right.  So much stuff is sitting round until I get round to doing x, y or z, and I get so overwhelmed that I feel almost paralysed by it. 

And the clothes I was supposed to be getting rid of?  Still waiting to be ironed, and some of them need to be re-washed again.  

I really felt for all the hoarders in this, because it was so emotionally tough for them all.  They were really suffering, stuck in such a dreadful place and yet unable to part with anything - even rubbish. 

One thing I have started doing is keeping a Google document on the go where I keep account numbers (never passwords!) and details of electric and gas and pensions and all those bits and bobs and then I shred all that comes in and I am shredding a backlog.  That should take care of a few boxes of papers.

I want to get into a routine of cleaning my cupboards at least once a month.  I used to be very good about this, but have lapsed.  Because if I am cleaning my cupboards then I can't forget what is in there, so I don't buy more.  And I need to have very defined places for things, so that I don't have duplicates of stuff everywhere. 

I have got rid of a huge stockpot.  I wasn't really using it, as I have got a slightly smaller one that is only very large.  I kept it because it was the only thing big enough to cook some fancy popcorn-with-oil-and-flavouring from Approved Food that I wasn't really getting round to popping, and I had nowhere to store it, and it was getting on my nerves.  I will say, you do not know how many ridges and dirt traps there are on a pan until you go to donate it to a church full of blackbelt housekeepers. I did my best but couldn't get rid of all the popcorn stains.  The ladies in hats will be tutting at me. 

I also think that while we see the extremes on tv, milder versions affect so many - including me.  That urge to say, don't get rid of that, it may be useful, it reminds me of a good time, I'll need it for when I get round to doing x, I'll be able to sell that when I get sorted... I think that lurks in a lot of us, and it is hard to break free of it. 

1 comment:

Robyn said...

Shredding eh - don't get me started! I'm an Avon rep, which produces a fair bit of paperwork which has my name/phone no / email address on...which means it all needs shredding. Obviously I do it regularly, after each campaign is finished I shred all the waste from the old books...yeah, like hell I do. In fact of course what I do is leave it all to pile on top of the shredder, down the back of the shredder, and alongside the shredder, before eventually getting fed up with the whole thing and moving into "shredder hell" for several days. *sigh* One day I'll learn....