Tuesday 15 May 2012

Thinking about food

Morgan - that comment has given me pause for thought.  I do the usual routine of clicking on all sorts of stuff, then going back and taking lots of unhealthy stuff off when I order from Approved Food. 

This last year our diet has changed a great deal.  One reason is that darling father has moved in and another is little bear is now at school and some of the old standbys need to be rejigged for timing. 

You have reminded me of a few times recently when I have started to put together an Approved Food order and then reviewed it, taken off all the rubbish and found it not worth getting the order at all.  There are still good things and useful things, but I need to look less.

Another habit that lingers on is from when I first did internet shopping, when I had injured shoulders and literally couldn't shop in person.  In those days, late nineties, the delivery charge was comparatively high so I ordered once every month to six weeks to spread the cost of the delivery.  That meant that I would order dozens of tins of catfood, piles of pasta and soup and all the staples - all in huge quantities to last me for some time.  Now I order around once per week.  If I time it right the cost is @ £3, which is less than the petrol or bus fare would cost.  I get a lot more fresh food.  However there is still that habit niggling at me that says I can never buy just one tin or just one packet.  I have to buy in bulk, just in case I run out.  That has to change.  The local shops now sell okayish ranges of food.  And there are things in the back of the cupboards that are staples for meals that I used to make, but don't any more.  Some meals I need to start cooking again, others I could adapt.  However there is no point in stockpiling food that is not getting used. 

In six months time I will want a well stocked cupboard, against Christmas, winter and any problems with shopping or delivery.  However I think now is a good time to get rid of the old stuff to make way for food that I will actually use, and space to see the good food so it doesn't go to waste.  I think it is long overdue to rethink my cooking and meal planning as well. 

No comments: