Monday 14 May 2012

What to have for tea?

Little bear will not eat potatoes or onions. 

OH does not want mash

Darling father does not like pasta (which little bear loves) but likes mash on account of his teeth

OH likes oven chips (which little bear won't eat) but likes them so crispy that darling father with his lack of teeth and me with my bad teeth from grinding them all night, can't manage them like that. 

OH would like frozen roast potatoes more which I am not as enthusiastic about as I don't like their cost or the room they take up in the freezer. 

And the slow cooker has stopped working, which is a nuisance as it was also the rice cooker, and my ability with rice is somewhat hit and miss.  I have finally reached the end of the microwave rice that I had from Approved Foods.  I can't bring myself to pay full price for it. 

I want to have more potato dishes on account of the benefits to health and purse.   Obviously little bear is vehemently against this. 

I cannot imagine a meal without starch - apart from anything else, it is a real saver on the food budget.  I am sure, however, that I shall think of something. 

4 comments:

The mum of all trades said...

Oh dear, rather you than me solving that deliema!

Wannabe Sybil said...

mum - I think my future holds rice... I may try polenta. And if I manage to please everyone, I'm going to have a go at the economy, because that has to be easier lol! WS

Ian said...

Have you tried sweet potatoes? Even if you roast them they're still pretty soft. They're a bit more expensive than spuds. Tell Little Bear they're called yams.

Anyway, you get plenty of carbs from things like turnips, swede, parsnips and carrots.

Kitty Greene said...

So what did you have ?