Friday 27 September 2013

Bear Notices Everything

I made a steamed pudding today.  The recipe is from Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook 200 More Slow Cooker Recipes.  There is a lot of fine detail but the nuts and bolts are you take half a tin of cherry pie filling and put it in the base of a pudding basin.  Then you add a made up packet of Madeira cake mix and steam for three and one half hours in the slow cooker.  Serve with the rest of the pie filling heated and custard.

First of all I couldn't find a tin of cherry pie filling.  I ended up using a cherry compote (how much!?) from Tesco.  I didn't have a 1.5 l pudding basin and the 2 l basin wouldn't fit in the slow cooker so I used a 1.2 l basin.  Then there was the Madeira cake mix.  I normally never buy these, as I don't make many cakes, but I had seen this recipe and the mixes were on Approved Food, so I invested a very small amount of money.  It is just as well.  I had to add two eggs, a third of a pint of milk and three ounces of butter - I felt as if I had basically bought a very small bag of flour.  Once the three mixes are used up I shall try with basic sponge mixtures.

The steaming went okay, I have invested in pudding basins with lids, as I want to try them out in the microwave as well.  The mixture was really a bit too much for the basin and nearly pushed the lid off.

It was late by the time we sat down to eat.  After lovely cod in milk, broccoli and home made halogen chips (veg box came today) I looked warily at bear who was still eating his cod.  I texted DH, 'Steamed pudding, should we give bear any?'
Bear looked up.  'I'd like custard on mine,' he said firmly, pushing his plate away.

The steamed pudding was quite nice, actually.  I'll try it next time with a little less in the basin and see how it goes.  I just wonder how bear can read my texts with his back to me and DH.

No comments: