Monday 2 September 2013

Day 42

I am so glad bear is going back to school tomorrow.  I will be able to do things.  It isn't just me trying to work out what I am doing with bear showing a vocal interest, or Doctor Who being played with the volume set to stun, or the trail of havoc in a house that is already overfull of havoc.  It's bear playing out with the local kids who I don't like to blog about as they are only kids and things stay on the internet.  You will have to take it that I stay on pins all the time he is out without me giving examples.  A few hours per day without me worrying whether bear is going to get involved if the police are called will do me no harm at all.   The kids are all about the same age as well.  Unfortunately the worry about the police is well founded.  So is the worry about seeing ambulances pulling up.

I have also seen the latest comments about Jamie Oliver.  I do feel a complete failure at the money saving.  I have just spent @ £200 over the last few days.  I spent @ £80 at the farm shop, although I expect it to last for a month, then I spent another £110 for a Tesco delivery today.  A lot of that was to re-stock the freezer we have been running down.  I expect the veg to last most of the month as well.  However I don't think Jamie Oliver is at the basics level.  He is writing for people who need to cut down their food budget.  I don't think it is for those who are really on the breadline.  On Day 42 of the summer holiday I don't have the energy to care.

I am muttering about veggies at the moment.  I am disappointed that they stopped doing veg boxes here, but I am optimistic about a scheme that may be starting getting a box of seasonal veg from the market.  Until then, regardless of what Jamie Oliver thinks, it makes financial sense for me to get my veggies delivered from the supermarket (£3 delivery against £3.90 bus fare without considering the carrying) and in a frozen state.  Frozen veggies are fresher than the fresh stuff in the supermarket and are trimmed/shelled/sliced so that there is less waste.  They do not go off and the last handful will limp on in the freezer until they can be added to a casserole.  One kilo of frozen, prepared casserole veg look like a good deal when I can't get that sort of value fresh.

When bear is safely tucked up in bed I will be able to put an iron over his freshly washed uniform, iron on the name tapes and pack all his bags ready for school tomorrow.  Until then I am hovering around the internet not really concentrating and listening out to the kids on the street.  Currently praying for rain.

No comments: