Sunday 22 September 2013

Doing Sums

Just blogging to get my thoughts straight, but I think it's a useful exercise.  Most of you reading will have a better grasp than me, but I think it's worthwhile sharing.

I am shopping a lot with Tesco at the moment.  They do a feature with a Delivery Saver so that you pay so much then afterwards get free delivery for a set time.  I'm trying to work out whether it is worth it for me.

I've looked at the days I normally get deliveries.  There is no pattern.  I would love to be the sort of person who had rhythm and order in their groceries but I have to face facts.  Also I quite like the idea of having the occasional Sunday delivery as I will be gearing up for bear's packed lunches.  If I was disciplined enough to stick to Tuesday to Thursday then I could try the midweek saver.  You pay £27 for three months or £45 for six months either up front or monthly and you then get any delivery slot free on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday.  The delivery costs range from £3 to £4.50 and you could have a delivery on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday if you like.  If you have one delivery per week at £3 per delivery then you would spend £12 per month on delivery fees instead of £9 which you would spend on the three month plan.  I find it difficult to arrange the £3 delivery slots as they are usually when I am busiest with bear and overlap school run time.  If you had one £4.50 delivery per week and went for the six months in advance plan you would save £10.50.

I am more likely to go for the Anytime Plan, which is up to one delivery per day at any time as long as a slot is free and if I pay for six months up front I pay £60, or £10 per month.  If I want a Sunday delivery it can be as much as £6 per delivery so I would save up to £14 in a four week month, if I went for the more expensive slots.  Even if I managed to work things to have the cheaper slots, it would still save a few pennies.  All pennies are welcome.  I quite often get more than one delivery per week as well, depending on what is happening.  It makes sense to save money on what I am doing already.

There are, of course, downsides.  I am waiting for Morrisons to start deliveries, but I have no idea when that will be.  I would hate not to be a customer for the first week.  Paying for the deliveries like this would tie me into Tesco, which is currently okay.  The big problem is that the minimum order size is £40.  I am getting my veggies delivered from the market and I have meat from the farm shop and available from the market.  I regularly use Approved Foods.  I am concerned that I will struggle to make the minimum order, especially if Famous Grouse is not on offer.

If I take the Anytime six month plan, which is £10 per month, and the average cost of deliveries which is as far as I can tell around the £4.50 mark, then I would need to do three orders to save money.  At the cheapest I would need to do four orders and at the most expensive I would need to do two.   The £40 minimum is going to be a struggle unless I am getting things wrong.  Mind you, there is a weakness for strong drink in the house which will help boost the totals.

Summary If you get one Tesco delivery per week of over £40 and do not go anywhere but Tesco and that is not likely to change in three or six months then the Delivery Saver is a good idea.  I'm still thinking.

4 comments:

Janet said...

Just one thing to bear in mind with this Tesco offer on deliveries. If you want Christmas deliveries, priority is given to those who have signed up to the delivery packages. I don't use this, I like to go out and buy, but my sister-in-law does have deliveries and told me about the priority system. Hope this helps, and sincerely hope poorly bear is better soon. My little grandson has not been well and it is awful to see them when they are not their usual happy, smiley little chaps.

Wannabe Sybil said...

I think the Christmas priority is really useful. It is another factor. You really need to work through stuff to figure things out! Thanks for the hugs for bear. He is at least eating now. I hope your grandson feels better soon, as you say, it is so hard to see little ones poorly. WS xxx

ravylesley said...

I used to use online deliveries regularly but got seriously hacked off with substituted or just missing items so dont bother any more.I have to admit though that I am tempted by the new click and collect service as its free and saves the hassle of waiting in for the delivery man.So might give this a go

Lesleyxx

Wannabe Sybil said...

The click and collect does sound a good idea, it would save a lot of time wandering around the supermarket and so a quick in and out. You could time it around other errands as well - very useful if it suits! WS xxx