Wednesday 4 September 2013

Labelled

For bear's first day back at school I couldn't find the iron on labels for his uniform.

For bear's second day back at school I found the labels but the iron melted them.

I don't do well with irons.  It may be my habit of dropping them, but they just don't do well.  Normally they fade away, occasionally they are dropped so hard I don't trust them again, but this time the iron is going for the burn.  The iron setting was correct and I've used these labels many times.  I've noticed it's been a bit keen even though the setting is comparatively low.  When I was little I remember my favourite petticoat being shrivelled by a too-hot iron, so I am usually carefully about having the correct temperature.

So today, when I wanted to capitalise on the dent I made yesterday I ended up staggering in to town, dropping off DH's coat to pick up tomorrow.  The dry cleaning lady was keen to allow more time in case of stains.  The coat in question is over fifteen years old, extremely 'well loved' and looking a bit threadbare.  We are aiming for 'cleaner' as the outcome.  It is also DH's only coat and it is forecast to hammer down on Friday.  I shall have to take bear with me to pick it up after school.  Then I picked up a new iron and three bottles of Famous Grouse (£13 a bottle in Tescos) and dragged myself home.

I love DH's coat and so does he.  It is a wool overcoat and it hangs well below the knee even on DH who is not small. I have not managed to find anything like it anywhere.  Poor DH is going to have to go shopping, which for him is a fate worse than death.

As the coat cost in the region of £50 around fifteen years ago or more, it doesn't owe a penny.  I just wish we could find another one just as good.  Still at least I got cheap whiskey today.


No comments: