Tuesday 8 March 2011

The census has arrived, but not news from the Educational powers that be.

Also, I feel a little low as my life is too chaotic to give something up for Lent. Giving up something up for health reasons didn't count as a fast in Medieval times, or to save money, or for any selfish reasons. In fact, if someone was known to be fasting in a lord's household, the same food would be cooked anyway as the left over food would be given to the beggars and poor and so the fast would also benefit those in need as well as the soul of those that fasted.

Also, in Lent I like to try and do something positive for faith. Again all is too chaotic. I feel a bit low about it. I shall just do the best I can.

3 comments:

Morgan said...

Doing one's best is always good enough...I'm not feeling terribly inspired this year either! Not even sure I can do my best - and that isn't good enough!

Wannabe Sybil said...

Thank you - that was a much needed hug. WS x

Ian said...

I know what you mean. Ash Wednesday is almost over and I still haven't worked out what I'm giving up for Lent. The closest I've come to it is not ordering takeaways.

I was going to give up meat, but Darling Uncle sent me home today with venison burgers, sausage and chicken kievs from the good butchers in Chester market!

I always thought the idea was to deny yourself, the modern version being something you enjoy, and to encourage discipline?

Instead of giving something up, why not try and make sure as much of your clutterbusting goes to charity shops?

Or, if you need a real challenge, everytime you go to buy wool/yarn on Ebay, don't! Put the money you would have spent in a tin/piggy bank instead and after Easter donate it to charity?

I do know what you mean about things being too chaotic to manage the mental strength to 'give something up'. Mind you, in medieval times, couldn't you do things like giving money to the church or making a pilgrimage in order to help expiate your sins? Not that I'm suggesting you walk barefoot to Jerusalem.