Friday 18 March 2011

Wardrobe dilemma

Darling father needs a wardrobe. As does OH and little bear. Little bear does not currently have hanging space for clothes, but will in September when school uniform starts. The current wardrobe in OH's room is too big, blocks the radiator even if pulled out a bit (unwelcome in the cold weather this winter) and needs to be replaced so I have somewhere to put my clothes.

I would love to be able to go to a second hand furniture shop or a charity furniture shop and get furniture with a bit of stability and character. However the tight turn at the top of the first flight of stairs is just too much. It has to be flat pack.

I won't bother with Argos as I have had bad experiences. I am considering IKEA as I have had good experiences, but the selection isn't quite right. I am not sure where else to look as none of the stuff in Asda, Sainsburys etc seem suitable or are too flimsy or just too dratted expensive.

What is even more depressing is that wardrobes have at least doubled in price since the last time I looked - and while I don't want to plead poverty, I also don't want to spend what looks like over £500 that needs to be spent relatively soon. Only the wardrobe in the top room can be put off for any length of time. Little bear's can perhaps wait a few months, but by next Christmas it will be driving me daffy having nowhere to hang school shirts. And it will really affect darling father's standard of living if he doesn't have a wardrobe.

Darn.

1 comment:

Ian said...

I think it'll have to be IKEA. I've gone off Argos lately, although I do like some things they do.

I was quite impressed by the selection of wardrobes in IKEA the last time I went, so maybe it's worth a look? I don't know where else you'd get a flatpack wardrobe - haven't MFI closed down?