Wednesday 23 March 2011

Occado

I've just had my first Occado grocery delivery.

It was an interesting experience. I got a little text the day before and a little text about an hour before to remind me and let me know what the driver's name was and that everything was there. It felt a bit master and serf to me, and I am usually at the serf end, but it is nice especially if you are nervous of strangers. I saw the van parked at the end of the street about twenty minutes before he was due, so I let him know that I was almost at home.

The carrier bags are lovely and sturdy, I can see them being reused lots apart from any snob value. I use Aldi bags with equal comfort. And they colour code them, red for chilled, purple for cupboard and green for frozen.

I don't know, it seemed a little excessive. I like to think I am pleasant to people making deliveries and mostly harmless. But I am usually aware of when a delivery is due, and I feel that the different coloured bags are a bit of a gimmick and probably an irritation to the packing staff. Even daft old biddies like me usually don't miss that they have to put stuff in the fridge or freezer. Or perhaps not. Sometimes the little things do help.

I am very impressed by the quality and service, but not so much by the range of goods. There is bound to be differences in price but there is often a trade off between price and quality and I suppose that it is worth searching for the bargains. I got lots of 'treat' stuff, like a small pack of diced venison, pickled walnuts and pear and walnut chutney that I shall stash for special occasions. I think Occado will end up the Christmas shop.

1 comment:

Sue @ Smiffy's Blog said...

I use Ocado a lot now, deliveries are always on time (or early)& 99-100% of the products are in stock as they come from the warehouse. If you shop savvy and buy just the day to day stuff you'll be surprised that they are not really any expensive then the other shops. Ocado own brand products/food is very good quality, as is Waitrose Essentials. I usually do a big shop at the beginning of each month at Mr T or Mr S and top up with Ocado every week as they have a £40 min order. I also have pre-paid for my deliveries for the year (39.99) so I save money there too. S x