Tuesday 8 March 2011

Honey Cakes

Little bear has driven me completely scatty while making the buns - Teisen Mel or Welsh honey cakes. I got the final recipe from the web (the one with three teaspoons of instant coffee to a small cake and a huge amount of olive oil as well as the honey etc probably tastes great but I couldn't face it).

Regrettably, although the list of ingredients is full, all of them are not included in the instructions, so the 'adding flour' bit doesn't include the cinnamon (which I remembered at the last minute) and the bicarbonate of soda (which I didn't).

I expect the cakes to be robust, but little bear is happy, though probably queasy, as he has just scraped out and licked the bowl - very thoroughly!

All I need to do is clear up the trails of honey (I do it!) and the vast sprays of spilled flour (I tap this and shake it up!) and all the different bowls and spoons (I lick this!)

2 comments:

Ian said...

Has Little Bear discovered the delights of Shrove Tuesday and pancakes yet? I just made some for myself.

I'll have a look for a recipe for honey cakes. Teisel Fen you say? Somewhere I've got a book of Welsh recipes that might have a sensible recipe in there. I'm going through a phase of exploring the Welsh bit of my heritage - I wish there were Welsh language classes in Liverpool! No one would understand a word I said!

Wannabe Sybil said...

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/472/tiessennau-mel.aspx is the recipe I used.

OH brought in ready made pancakes. This stopped the crazy dash to and from the smoke alarm. Little bear loves pancakes!

Bora nos (I think good night!) WS x