Wednesday 2 March 2011

Clutterbust nudges

Today I was looking for a bulb for my knitting lamp. With the house so junk filled it is hard to tell if there is one in the house but the obvious place was the cupboard in the kitchen that is also the medicine cabinet, nice and high on the wall. It houses the electric meter, so bulbs migrate there for some reason.

I couldn't find a bulb there. However I got a few bruises from all the stuff cascading out. The drugs squad would probably find it a bit disappointing. There are about a dozen half finished packs of painkillers (standard over the counter ones). There are lots of half finished bottles of baby nurofen (I keep forgetting to look, little bear doesn't get dosed that often) and pack after pack after pack of vitamins.

I take Berocca, which helps. A little while ago it was on offer. Yep, I bought a sackful and there are still a load in there, as well as a pile of little bear's vitamins (on the same offer). There is also a ten years supply of tea tree oil and some citronella. A Boots First Aid Kit hit me on the head.

There is no chance of finding anything at all in an emergency, so tomorrow, at some point, reluctantly, I am going to try and sort it out. Really it is a question of organising what is there, perhaps putting it in small boxes as a divide and conquer measure, and very little to throw away.

However I think one of the keys to clutterbust is to find a home for everything. Once I know that bulbs should all be kept in one particular place that is where I put them, that is where I look and I don't keep buying eg bulbs when I don't need to. Then things don't overflow so much into heaps and get shoved just anywhere and add to the piles of STUFF and stops the place that it is in being a home for something else.

So I had better grit my teeth and get on with it.

No comments: