Saturday 5 March 2011

Tempted

When I bought the unnecessary magazines from WHSmiths I got a £15 off an Ocado delivery, minimum spend £65.

I can feel my fingertips tingling as I want to check out the site! I mean, would it really be worth effectively spending £65 to save £15? I have seen on mysupermarket.com that Ocado always seems so much more expensive, but I also know that if you switch from one to the other it is amazing how just fiddling the offers can suddenly bring the other total down.

The other thing is - could I really get the benefit from Ocado. It seems to sell top of the market stuff. I am rather on the bottom of the market. For example, I have no idea how brie should be before being eaten, and I have been known to put brie in a sandwich with ketchup before now. Ocado seems to be the place for those who knew about balsamic vinegar before it became famous. So my SmartPrice/basics/value instincts probably wouldn't be useful.

On the other hand, I don't have a good butcher's within easy walking distance, though I am determined to do more to find one, and some things I think are definitely worth getting the best you can afford. I would rather spend my money on the best eg sausages I can afford. Sometimes we have the top value sausages with only one or two per plate, even for OH, but that is enough because of the quality. I think you get a better standard of meat than spending the same amount on steak. I also only ever buy the best mince that I can afford. I'll cheat with the steak though, because sometimes you can do amazing things with marinades.

Also, while I know dozens of tasty things to do with mince, I don't know how to cook chops.

I think I will risk a browse on mysupermarket.com and see what leaps out at me. My freezer is filling up a little (including two lots of four extra special tomato burgers from Asda, £4 total, one burger is easily enough per person and they taste lovely). However I think I shall see what is what and also perhaps stock up on some goodies that will be there for when it is OH and darling father's birthdays, or holidays, or even Christmas. But I shall compare everything with Asda or Sainsburys to just check that it is a good idea.

I am so tempted to monetise again - not because I think I would make any money, but just to see the adverts.

No comments: