Thursday 25 August 2011

Evil cat is feeling better

Evil cat is feeling a lot better, thank you. In fact she is thriving. The tiny tabby terror has got a new lease of life with the pain killers. We just have drops. The vet told us to use the 2kg mark for her. I think it was to give her a small dose as much as anything else, but when you lift her, and if you have a chance to judge with her fighting tooth, claw and tail, she isn't much heavier than two bags of sugar. She has always been a bit of a slim one.

Since the painkillers have kicked in she has started eating again, thank goodness, and more than just tuna. She has tried to kick the stuffing out of a catnip fish, again she hasn't done much of that lately. The best, though, is that she is now trotting around, bright eyed, her tail up and assertive, as she happily jumps up, down, on and off her favourite places.

However the pain medicine is bad for her failing kidneys.

I feel I am dicing with her future. To quote Billy Connolly, evil cat is now to old to die young, though she would have no doubt been a trouble maker if she had been human. She even sleeps with attitude, firmly and intently curled up and sleeping fiercely - there are witnesses that will tell you that this is a cat that can sleep with fury. So I have told the vet that I want to keep on with the pain killers, and though it may affect her kidneys that are failing anyway, I am going to trade off a fuller life for a shorter one. At seventeen years old, evil cat is certainly not lacking in years. To see her full of life instead of full of aches and pains makes me feel that the decision is the right one.

Worrying myself about it, however.

2 comments:

Witch Hazel said...

It sounds like the right decision to me Sybil, it's certainly what I would have done with my cats in the same circumstaces. What's the point of prolonging her life if it is a life full of pain? Much better to have a shorter life but to be able to DO things and to be pain free.

Wannabe Sybil said...

Thank you, that really helps me. As I said, it's not like she can do a crossword to take her mind off things, she can't think outside of NOW. She is currently curled up in her bed which she couldn't manage a few weeks ago. WS x