Thursday 11 August 2011

Evil Cat's quality of life

I strongly believe that cats are not human, that they have different ways of looking at the world. They have strong likes and dislikes, their own opinions and their own ways, and that it is important to respect that.

So when a cat gets frail then I do think about the awful possibility of having them put to sleep. I don't want to, but I think it is important. A cat does live in the moment, and if they are in a lot of pain then it is hard for me to make them continue. My watchword is always quality of life. If they can find joy in life then it is worth moving heaven and earth for them.

Psycho cat's lungs were flooded and malevolent cat's brain tumour was just too big, there were no hard decisions to make. However last night evil cat had a sort of half working tail and she seems to have lost a great deal of weight quite suddenly. I will add that this morning it seems that the half of her tail nearest the rest of her seems to be working but the end seems just to be hanging. She does not appear to be in pain or discomfort, though she does seem a little out of sorts. Cats notoriously hide when they are poorly. I am extremely worried.

However at two in the morning evil cat was chasing something. At first, half asleep, I wondered if it was a mouse, or possibly a spider. However as I woke up and saw her in enough light to see clearly as she chased it across a white piece of paper, it was entirely imaginary. For evil cat, waking me up in the early hours over nothing - that is quality of life and worth defending.

No comments: