Wednesday 3 August 2011

Pong

Something has happened to the drains in the street.

Last night when I was bringing little bear back from nursery we could smell an awful smell. Little bear immediately said it wasn't him! As we rounded the corner I understood. The sewer that runs under our street seemed to be blocked and a man was holding some sort of twirly thing connected to a large van and waving it around in the liquid that had risen to the top of the drain cover. The man from the local pizza shop was supervising. He is also the owner of the flats that have just been renovated. He is always pleasant to me, though if he had warned me about eg bollards or sandblasting in the past it would have been nice. As it is, he is not the worst of the local neighbours.

Nothing has been blocked or backed up here. I suspect that seven fast food outlets within 150 yards may affect the sewers. At least it was all done in the open. I still remember a lorry with a mysterious tube into the sewer one midnight a while ago, and at the time I wondered whether they were putting in or taking out. Also Her Three Doors Down never used to get the drains cleared on her property until the rest of the street were affected. I once got Transco out for a gas leak as I was convinced that was the case but instead it was a less intangible reason.

And the van was there again this morning. Though there was no pong. I think that probably, hopefully, perhaps, that the problem has abated. However seven fast food outlets within 150 yards probably mean that we will see the scene again.

No comments: