Tuesday 16 August 2011

Evil cat is not well

Last night OP lifted evil cat out of the way and dropped her. She went about the same distance as she had been jumping down all day, about six inches, certainly no malice or aggression on OH's part. However I think it jarred her. As he nipped out, she limped in, her tail just hanging and not being able to support one of her legs. For the first few steps she hissed at every step.

She is a lot better now, her leg is working and has been getting up and down off chairs and the sofa. However this does explain a lot. If she has something wrong with her back or sciatica, the trip to the vet would have been excruciating. It would explain why her tail has been not working correctly. It would certainly explain her being even more grumpy than normal.

I am wittering on here, because I am fretting. She was not her usual agile self last night and while she wasn't struggling, it wasn't easy. I actually put the gas fire on for her, and a cushion in front of it. I am wondering about how much she is actually hurting, how much is natural evil grumpiness and how much fun she is having in life. Animals feel pain, just as we do, but they can't distract themselves the same way. They can't lose themselves in a crossword or a film or a book. Animals are much more in the moment. I believe that when the pain is more than the pleasure that the animal is having out of life then it is time to make a hard decision.

That belief is easy when you are not looking at a little tabby, smaller than my handbag, who has been a character and entertainment for 17 years, who has been there with soft fur and purrs when I have been struggling, and who may be having joy in life, but I don't know. I over think things. I don't want to make a decision based on my feelings and worry. On the other hand, she has been such a wonderful part of our family for so long, why should I make her suffer - if she is suffering so much, cats do hide this - just for my own sentimentality.

I will be wittering on here, trying to make sense of my thoughts, because I don't want to upset anyone in the house with going on, and on, and on, and on. However evil cat has not given me the Look, the one I got from malevolent cat, the one I got from psycho cat, that says, 'I have had enough'.

I am really hoping that this is just a touch of sciatica, lumbago, rheumatism etc.

1 comment:

Witch Hazel said...

Sorry to hear about Evil Cat. I would phone the Vet for advice. It may be that he can give her something to ease the pain - our cat was on Rhymadil (not sure of the spelling) and it made a big difference to her ease of movement. If they can't, perhaps they can advise on her quality of life. It's not nice decision to have to make, and it's hard to get the balance right between doing it too soon, and leaving it too long.