Wednesday 31 August 2011

My Other Blog

I will be typing out (sad, but true - I love copy typing) a daily blog based on a book I have, called 'A Year's Cookery' published in 1895. The book has an entry for every day of the year with 'Things that must not be Forgotten' and things that need to be bought etc. plus a menu and recipes for breakfast, luncheon and dinner. It is all based on what is available seasonally and also it includes recipes that allow one meal for a day, then a second meal made out of the left over ingredients. It is Old Style, I suppose, but it was written when Victoria was on the throne.

I just love it so much, the measured and thoughtful way that someone has gone through and worked out not only a menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner but also the recipes and what needs to be put in train the day before.

So for anyone who is interested http://yearscookery.blogspot.com/ and I hope you find it as fascinating as I do.

Also, I am not going to even attempt to try and modernise recipes, or to try and get a year's cookery for modern living together. I am just going to share my admiration for Phyllis Browne who created this.

2 comments:

ravylesley said...

sainsivwell I had a look but not sure I could stomach bloaters or sheeps collar for brekkie though

Lesleyxx

Wannabe Sybil said...

Actually, for breakfast I am happy to settle for Ready Brek. In fact, I insist. I do love the window into another world when a Victorian man of business would start his day with something sustaining! WS x