Wednesday 18 April 2012

Laundry list

My current focus and obsession at the moment is laundry. I am in awe how most people just manage it. I have had a complete fail with this, and I am determined to get it on track.

I haven't seen the bottom of the washing basket for a very long time, and I haven't seen the bottom of the ironing basket for even longer. Every time I push, I seem to get pushed back again, but I am keeping this moving.

The big, big problem was being daunted going into a room piled high with textiles of every type. So I got rid of huge quantities last week of out dated and outworn towels, sheets, table clothes, old socks, etc. Nice Mr Next Door was very happy to use the rags. The two lads from next door about to set up their own home were also happy to have the towels that were okay, the sheets, the duvet sets etc - it will do them until they get their own stuff. And the daughter of Nice Mr and Mrs Next Door was glad of a bundle of cot sheets. That must have emptied the room of almost a third of its contents.

The next thing I am tackling is little bear's outgrown clothes. I was going to go today to the Recycle shop that buys old clothes. I am glad with the weather I didn't, but I have started the process of washing the dust off his old clothes, re-ironing and sorting them for the trip. Also sorting what can be donated, what the little boys related to Nice Next Door can use, etc etc. There are bags and bags of the stuff. This morning I emptied one bag to bung in the washer - and found four of OH's shirts.

My heart actually felt like it sank - not more shirts! OH must now have about thirty of the things - ordinary, boring, nothing special, white-or-pale-blue sort of things for work. I insist he has a few, as I also insist that he wears a clean shirt every day as I think that is the way to look nice and keep them looking good for longer. So that is five shirts every week from OH, five from little bear, five from darling father. Plus polo shirts from darling father, t-shirts and casual shirts for little bear and casual shirts for OH. Most of my stuff is non iron! I am drowning in shirts.

I am also constantly surprised at where little bear leaves his socks. I have found them in every room in the house, plus on the stairs. He wanders around happily and footwear is shed at random intervals. I have screamed, shouted and yelled and so now his shoes are usually more or less together wherever he leaves them. I have not managed to convince him to put them in the same place every time, but I am working on it. Changing into slippers isn't working, he treats slippers with contempt. Once I have that mastered then I will move on to the socks and will hopefully no longer find them under cushions, over the backs of chairs, tucked beside the tv, draped on bannisters or nestled in corners.

I will get there, I will!

No comments: