Thursday 12 April 2012

Operation Clutterbust stuttering around

Little bear is out. I paid a fortune for him to go to the out of hours/school holiday club, so that he could have a good day with his friends in stimulating surroundings. Ha! None of his friends will be there. However, knowing little bear, that will not slow him down. Any time I have taken him anywhere he has usually managed to make friends, play and enjoy himself.

Today they are going along the canal to look for mini beasts. I sent him out in clean clothes. I am not expecting him to come back pristine. All I can say is that to take a mixed bag of mixed age but under 10s along a canal must take nerves of steel.

So I am tackling the so-called dining room in very easy stages while he is out. The 'dining room' is a huge heap of fabric, lots of towels, sheets, ironing, socks and blankets. Also four tyres. Normally I approach the room by (attempting to) clear a lot of ironing, in order to make room. That so far has not worked. So today I am piling up the ironing (fearsome proportions already) and pressing on past where the ironing board normally stands to a place where there is an alleged table. I say alleged, because there has been no sighting of it for some time.

A lot of it is linens from darling father. Some of it is stuff I just don't know where to put as it used to live in darling father's room. There is a large drift of clothes that are too small for little bear. Some of the stuff just baffles me. I have found several packets of chocolate angel delight. I can eat that at the moment. I think that some things work for the best.

At the end of today I shall add to my tally. I have already taken the equivalent of several bin bags next door. What the family can't use, and the sons setting up house can't use, and the daughter who may be possibly setting up house soon can't use, can be used my Nice Mr Next Door as rags while he fixes cars.

I have also had a little bit of a breakthrough. I have decided that though some of it is really useful stuff, I am not using it. And instead of saying, 'that could be really useful, I shall find a place to put it.' I am saying, 'do I have a place to put it, if not then I need to pass it on.' Also nice clothes that little bear can no longer fit in can be passed on, for some sizes. We have been given so much over the years, it's nice to continue the chain.

2 comments:

Kitty Greene said...

Well I would definately keep all the fabrics to recycle.
re-use old towels for rags and wash cloths.
eat the angel delight
and consider selling some stuff if it's OK on ebay -
why not get a few pennies for your stuff ?
using fabric for rags when working on the car - oh my, think of all the rugs I could make !
Then if no one else wants whats left put it on freecycle, you'll have them queueing up !
Also put a 'wanted' on freecycle for a slow cooker before buying a new one - I see yours has just packed up - I just got a replacement for mine - still in it's original box. I lurve freecycle !
How's the tooth/mouth situation now ?
thanks for dropping by my blog by the way.

Morgan said...

Although I agree with Wean in principle, sometimes it can lighten the load to just "get rid" of stuff without worrying about it.

Ebaying things is an excellent idea, but I have listed some things from the girls' wardrobes three times now, and only sold one or two items each time. There are about 12 items left, and each time I relist them, it causes me hassle - in watching ebay, in keeping the things handy, etc, and after this time, they are going to the charity shop. And it will be a load off my mind. They are excellent quality, a good brand, and hardly worn, but if I can't sell them more easily than this, I will give them away.

I empathise with Sybil because she and I are alike in so many ways, and I feel burdened in similar ways over clutter - and sometimes we just have to move it on as keeping things with well meaning intentions is just adding to the weight of the burden that the clutter causes.

I am going away in June to a holiday cottage and I know I shall come home with renewed vigour for decluttering because I will have so enjoyed living in a clutter free environment for a week.

Hugs as usual! xx