Thursday 12 April 2012

Thoughts on clutterbusting

Morgan - you are absolutely right about how I feel burdened by the clutter. I will probably be a wreck tomorrow, as I have been on my feet a lot more today than normal. Also all the stuff passed on will be going to good use. A lot of cot sheets - flannel and lovely and soft from washing - have gone to someone who is expecting a baby in the next few weeks. And I feel so much better for it!

It was a real breakthrough - unless I have a place for it, I am not keeping it, no matter that it may come in useful. I think that is part of the problem. I have some rags, kept to one side, but I rarely use rags. I don't want to keep stuff 'just in case' and then things mount up and mount up and I have nowhere to put stuff and I can't find that particular bit of baby blanket I kept back because it may 'one day' find it useful for polishing. So when I do get round to the polishing, I have to go and buy something anyway. Clutter can cost you money, as you have to keep buying things because you can't find the original - scissors are a big culprit here. And if there is a load of STUFF piled on top of things, they get damaged and then need replacing.

Wean - please don't take offence at this, because it all obviously works for you. If I was better organised, and used rags like you, then it would be worth doing. However I feel more and more that this huge pile of STUFF around me is stopping me from getting organised. I think I will start saving stuff once I get organised so that then I will have places to put them and be able to find things I need. Until then I need to work on being ruthless.

Morgan, I really identify with the holiday cottage. I remember coming home from a lovely, clutter free holiday cottage last October, and nearly crying, because I could see the contrast between the holiday cottage and the free and light feeling and my home. I was too poorly to do much about it, but I am getting a lot better now! Today darling father was talking and he looked around the study and said sadly, 'Every room is full of stuff'. I think Morgan hit the right word - burdened.

If you haven't had the battle, then you don't know how hard it is. I often feel defeated, burdened, weighed down and suffocated. All I can do is keep trying, and know that if I only do five minutes, or get rid of a handful of STUFF then it is better than doing nothing at all.
Link
I am considering taking some of little bear's clothes to a place that buys second hand clothes, like this. It is a little walk away, so it will be good for me to make a few journeys, I may make a few pennies, and it is a lot less stress than ebay (though less profit!). Some things I may try and put on ebay, but if I feel that they are mounting up 'until I get around to it' and I am not getting around to it, then I am passing them on, taking them to the shop, passing on the tattered ones for rags for next door etc

The advice Wean gives is good - if you do not suffer like I do from clutter. I have used 'feel' a lot in this post, as it is so emotional and difficult for me. Just getting rid of so much has made a massive difference to me, and no fabrics to landfill (which I hate!). I feel lighter. I need to concentrate on that feeling and keep going! Though I am always ready to hear advice, please feel free to comment! I just am not always able to take good advice : (

2 comments:

Morgan said...

You are right. Occasionally I feel like ordering a skip and just chucking everything into it, keeping the bare minimum!

I think we can encourage each other -I have a study/office and a bedroom to reclaim!

Love and hugs xx

Wannabe Sybil said...

It is a huge hug, Morgan, thank you - and it is so hard. I think I have actually reclaimed around three extra feet of depth to the room. I do think we can encourage each other. It is so hard to understand if you haven't been there. Upward and onward! WS xxx