Wednesday 25 April 2012

Weather

I am British, I talk about the weather.  I grumble, complain about the weather and wonder what it will do tomorrow.  I consult the forecast every night to work out about washing, shopping, gardening and travelling. 

However I would just like to point out that while I know, deep down, all the good reasons that you can have flood warnings in areas affected by drought, after nearly half a century of watching the weather, that takes the biscuit. 

And I know about more concrete meaning less ground water, and the run off going to the sea rather than the ground and replenishing aquifers.  And I know about the wrong sort of rain running off instead of soaking in.  And I know about the appalling water infrastructure - but really!  Flood warnings in drought areas. 

What I want to know is, in an area where there is a hosepipe ban, could you be done for using a hosepipe to siphon out water from a flooded cellar?  

(also, embarrassed to admit, but have changed the day of little bear's piano lesson because dragging a five year old through driving wind and rain if there is another option is silly)

No comments: