Wednesday 25 April 2012

Where did the wotsit go!

The blog layout has changed - I can't find anything!  So if I miss something please forgive me.

Marybelle - thank you for your kind comment.  I shall shamelessly tell everyone when (if!) I get the Forgotten Village on kindle, but it is available to read for free on Fiction Press and the linky is at the side.  I feel a bit of a fraud asking money for something in the public domain, but I hope it makes it convenient for anyone to read, if they want to. 

I have looked into this briefly.  I can self publish onto an ebook via Lulu.com (other companies do it as well, that's just the one I've found).  I will need to convert the text into a weird format but the programme that does that came free with the computer.  I need to find artwork for a cover and OH has agreed to do that for me (and I am really, really grateful).  I have asked for a stake crossed with a knitting needle against a backdrop of a very home counties thatched cottage.  I hope he can do this, but with computer art a knitting needle is a bit obscure.  Then I get an ISBN number and hopefully get it out there, priced 99p, of which I will get 54p (according to the calculator).

I am going to write all the bits down, so that anyone else who goes through the same process can perhaps get a short cut or an insight. 

And then I am going to set a target of 5000 words per day and see if I can get Digging up the Past out, and the one I have vague ideas about the Forgotten Village at Halloween...  Perhaps I can treat this as my employment and stop worrying about a job.

I just hope I make enough to cover the stamps for the self assessment forms.  As soon as I publish (if I can) I will have to register as self employed.  That will be interesting - I feel like I am at the start of an adventure.

2 comments:

Kitty Greene said...

Oooh how exciting for you, I really hope it works out, how wonderful it would be if you could treat it as your employment ! I'll be watching this with interest as I wrote a book some time ago and I think it would resurrect well now, so if you could post your experiences it would be very helpful.
I'm keeping eyes, toes and fingers crossed for you that you are a success.
I will write soon about the other matter, just haven't had time to get my head together about it yet.

Wannabe Sybil said...

I shall definitely be posting about it. Thank you so much for your support. WS xxx