Thursday 19 April 2012

Washing machine seeing red

I followed all the instructions on the packet and put two of little bear's shirts into dye in the washing machine. They were white school shirts with pen on, I couldn't get the pen off, so I thought I would dye them red, which is little bear's favourite colour. They then could be used as play shirts and he would still get some use out of them - one was a M&S shirt that may have only cost £2.50, but it was M&S!

Actually dyeing the shirts was straight forward enough, you put the powder in the drum, covered it with the salt and put in the wet clothes. You ran the washing machine at cottons, 40 degrees. Then you ran the wash again as a wash with soap etc. Hey presto - you should have two red shirts.

I put in two shirts, both white, both washed and clean. One came out a satisfying tomato red. The other came out fuschia. I am not sure about little bear in a pink shirt. It is a loud, eye watering, in your face pink - it is intense, it is carnival pink. I will see what little bear says. I am sure he will look good in it, but I am just not used to little bear in pink. The other one looks great, just what I wanted. A nice scarlet, vivid and cheerful.

The washing machine drum still has red all over it. I have put the washing machine on the longest cycle with plenty of washing soda in, and I am keeping my fingers crossed for that. OH would definitely draw the line at a pink shirt. Otherwise I am going to have to go in and give it a rub with something. I gave it a quick rub over earlier with some paper towels. I am just wondering how safe washing up liquid is in a washing machine.

1 comment:

Mermaid's Purse said...

You'll be knee deep in bubbles with washing up liquid lol! Yes, the differences in colour would be due to the composition and/or finish of the fabrics. When the machine cycle has finished, I'd just do a dark wash at least for the next one ........ you should be able to see if the suds have any pinkish tinge to them whilst the washing is going round ........ I've never had to physically wash my machine out. Good luck!!