Wednesday 13 March 2013

Domestic Doldrums

Actually, domestically it could be worse.  I am limping along below any acceptable level but last night we had home made soup.  Like all of my home made soups it could be eaten with a knife and fork and the men seemed to like it.

Darling father had brought home a smallish half leg of lamb with the bone in.  I looked at it a little warily as I didn't see how I could slice it to make a meat and veg meal.  So yesterday I bunged it into the slow cooker with a package of dried vegetables, some dried onions, a bouquet garni teabag and two lamb stock cubes topped up with water.  I then added a very large quantity of barley.  It had good reviews and you can cut the lamb with a spoon.  The actual lamb will be shredded into a jar of hoi sin sauce together with some onion and served with microwave rice tonight.  I am mainly concerned with not sharing too much of the germ load with darling father who is so far well.  He and evil cat seem comparatively unaffected, although it is always hard to tell with evil cat.

I love these, you bung them in the slow cooker with whatever inexpensive bit of meat and they do the rest.  Obviously as part of your five a day they are not the most ideal but they are better than no veg at all and when you have flu they really are a fall back.  They are also not always easy to get hold of, funnily enough, nor is there a huge range of these sort of things.  I suppose frozen/canned is more common.










On 27th February 2013 I placed an order with Approved Food.  They had mayonnaise at a significantly reduced price that didn't expire until next year.  Bear had recently decided that he was refusing butter or margarine and would only tolerate mayo.  I bought the maximum permitted of the mayo - ten bottles.  Would anyone like to run a sweepstake on how long it will take for him to refuse to have mayo?  Actually it was yesterday.

I was pondering this as I made his chicken roll sandwich (with spreadable light butter) when bear appeared on the kitchen steps and asked in a very scathing tone, 'Just how long does it take you to make a sandwich.'

It's a good thing I am a softie sometimes and he got that explained to him in all the depth my depleted energy allowed.  He also got his sandwich, but it was a close call.

No comments: